My top 10 highlights from the book:
1. Doors open at 7 o’clock. The trouble will begin at 8.
2. The ad itself became legendary: “Wanted: Young, skinny, wiry fellows not over eighteen. Must be expert riders, willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred.”
3. His death would not have lengthened the life of the Confederacy or the Union by a single day. It would, however, have reduced the literary inheritance of the United States by an incalculable amount.
4. Get the facts first, then you can distort them as much as you like.
5. The only unfettered and entirely independent human being that lived on the Earth.
6. You have great ability; I believe you have genius. What you need now is refinement of association. Seek companionship among men of superior intellect and character. Refine yourself and your work. Never affiliate with inferiors; always climb.
6. If books are not good company, where will I find it?
7. When one is learning the river, he is not allowed to do or think of anything else.
8. I will not be confined, for love nor money.
9. The whole point of the performance was not so much what was being said, as how it was being said.
10. The purest veins were usually the deepest.
Listen to Founders #312 Mark Twain